Organic Cashew

Organic Cashew

organic-cashew-raw-cashew

Introduction

The system of organic farming is not a new concept and has been in practice since ancient times in India. The primary aim of organic farming is to help the soil stay in good health through the use of biological wastes, organic wastes and bio-fertilizers. Using organic manures help in sustainable crop production along with a pollution-free environment. Sometimes it is called ‘green farming’.

 The most important organic cashew nut producing countries are Brazil, Madagascar and Sri Lanka. In India, only 15% of the total area under cashew cultivation receives chemical fertilizers and plant protection chemical. The remaining 85% area produces organically by default with the utilization of naturally decomposed biomass but the yield is very low. So, there is a wide scope to bring a vast area under organic cashew cultivation with an improved package of practices for maximization of production and uplifting the position in the international market.

Organic Cashew Market

‘Organic’ is not a characteristic of the product, but a method of production. The market started to move into the mainstream in the 1990s and today trade is of the US anticipates growth rates of 18 per cent per year until 2010. Over the past decade, the land under organic production has risen from 5 to 31 million ha, in 120 countries.

Cashew is an important dollar earning crop of India with a variety of explorable potentiality and versatility embedded in it. India is the largest producer, processor and exporter of cashew in the world. The world demands for the organically produced cashew are growing rapidly in developed countries. Organic cashew fetches a premium price in the international market.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.